Wednesday 1 July 2015

Test riding, brain training and balancing on balls

Just returned from another great weekend away with Socks, this time it was intense training at Hartpury for the South West region Senior camp.  It involved three days of riding, balancing on balls, brain training among other activities including a little wine!

Last year Socks had a little meltdown at working in the main Hartpury arena, it was all a bit much for her and we seemed to go in every direction but the right one with varying levels of hooves in contact with the ground at any one time. So, this year I have prepared her by getting out to as many venues as possible but it's difficult to find any quite like Hartpury so I was just hoping for the best really.  I am pleased to say that this time hard work and patience paid off as Socks went through the tunnel into the main arena and worked her own little socks off!  First session of the weekend was a success, I just hoped we hadn't peaked too early.

The next couple of days were packed with plenty to do.  There were really interesting sports psychology sessions (just for me this time not Socks) which I found very useful and full of helpful tips on how to optimise your performance and train your brain.  The fitball classes were lots of fun (again Socks was left munching hay for this one) although in the sweltering heat we've been experiencing recently this was hard going and I found stomach muscles I didn't know existed.  But I'm proud to say I managed to sit, kneel and balance all over that ball!  (I felt I might have worked harder over the weekend than my horse)



On the Saturday it was time for Socks to do something but I don't think standing on a weighbridge, looking pretty and being complimented a lot counts.  Thankfully she was at an ideal weight and I seem to be feeding her all the right things and quantities so gold star for us.

Then the real work started with lessons and test riding, both sessions Socks remained cool, calm and rideable in the main arena and although a bit tired completed our first attempt at some higher novice tests which (a) I remembered and (b) no disobedience's (aka bucking!)

It's so exciting to finally be out progressing in our training, Socks is looking and feeling so much more grown up, I just need to get myself back in training to keep up with my horse as my fitness could definitely do with a bit of work.  

Next step is to qualify for the Petplan area festivals so let's hope we can put all this training into practise next week out competing!






1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Concentration

    ReplyDelete